Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Written Again

I dipped once more into the euphoria of snippet composition yesterday. I found myself fascinated with an alteration to the Bruce vignette which managed to marry all the characters together with a cohesion that has hitherto eluded me. I am confident this is the right direction for this act in the narrative, far off though it may be. Lamentations over my lack of proficiency aside, this alteration provided the inspiration for an intriguing shift to the dynamic between the main character and some of the setting's personalities. I couldn't help myself but to write the piece as I saw it in my head, which extended my fifteen minute afternoon break awkwardly past its confines. I had to stay late to make it up, which caused real-world chagrin with the schedule for my family, yet it was wholly worthwhile.

As for the actual prose I composed, I am not confident it is actually good. Not because of the composition itself, that part is doubtless deeply flawed, but for the content. I explored a concept in the relationship that is... exotic. Exotic and also repulsive. It is both appropriate to the action beat and inappropriate to the potential audience. I cannot imagine my own children trying to make sense of what occurs in this scene and how it might alter their perceptions of the world around them. Perhaps in an educating fashion, perhaps in a challenging one. Perhaps only in a damaging way. I haven't had the necessary time to work through this in my mind, but I will need to spend a good deal of time pondering the ramifications of such a narrative choice before I can commit to it as a definitive addition to the story cannon.

These concerns aside, it was a joy to actually feel like a writer again. I am certainly not deserving of the blessing.

No comments: